NPR – President Trump declared over the weekend that he and his advisers were “strongly” considering a presidential declaration of a national emergency to bypass Congress and build a border wall.
“We’re looking at a national emergency,” Trump told reporters on Sunday, “because we have a national emergency.
“And yet on Tuesday evening, in his first nationally broadcast Oval Office address, Trump made no mention of it in a speech focused on border security.
That omission suggests three possibilities:
The president has backed off from resorting to a national emergency decree to break the impasse over border wall funding.
He is simply using the threat of a national emergency measure to pressure Congress to appropriate money for a wall.
He fully intends to declare a national emergency along the Southern border if Congress does not fund a wall.
Back in the Oval Office on Wednesday, Trump assured reporters that a national emergency declaration remains an option. “I think we might work a deal and if we don’t, I may go that route,” Trump declared. “I have the absolute right to do a national emergency if I want.”
[Read More…] 70 views
- Border rancher: ‘We’ve found prayer rugs out here. It’s unreal’
- Hoping to keep his seat and wary of angering the base, McConnell defers to Trump on the shutdown
- The IRS is recalling 46,000 workers to handle tax returns
- Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address
- ‘THE SMOKING GUN’: Google Manipulated YouTube Search Results for Abortion, Maxine Waters, David Hogg
- Networks Trashed Trump With 90% Negative Spin in 2018, But Did It Matter?
- Judge Blocks Trump Admin from Adding Citizenship Question to 2020 Census
- Huckabee: FBI Agents Who Secretly Investigated Trump Should Be Prosecuted
- Exiled Trump-Hating Politicians Seek Refuge at Leftist Cable Networks – Big League Politics
- ABC/WaPo Poll: Support for Border Wall Soars Among Swing-Voters