BREITBART NEWS: Buoyant consumer sentiment boosted retail sales more than expected in July, while bigger than expected productivity gains point toward lower inflation and possible wage gains.
Retail sales, which are the total receipts at stores that sell merchandise and related services to final consumers, rose 0.5 percent in July, according to data released by the Commerce Department Wednesday. Economists had expected sales to rise by just 0.1 percent. The sales numbers were so strong that they exceeded the top range of expectations of economists surveyed by Bloomberg.
Outside of auto and gas sales, retail sales grew an even stronger 0.6 percent.
Productivity, which has had very small gains or even retreated in recent years, rose 2.9 percent in the most recent quarter compared with the prior quarter. That topped expectations for gains of 2.5 percent and was far above the paltry 0.4 percent increase in the first quarter. Productivity measures the growth of labor efficiency in producing goods and services. Rising productivity can hold back inflationary pressures even when the labor market is tight. It can also lead to higher wages in the longer run.
Unit labor costs, a measure that reflects the labor costs of producing each unit of output, was expected to decline 0.2 percent, after declining 0.3 percent in the prior quarter. Instead, it declined 0.9 percent. That too is an indicator that inflation is likely to remain tame.
[Read More…] 83 views
- Border rancher: ‘We’ve found prayer rugs out here. It’s unreal’
- Hoping to keep his seat and wary of angering the base, McConnell defers to Trump on the shutdown
- The IRS is recalling 46,000 workers to handle tax returns
- Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address
- ‘THE SMOKING GUN’: Google Manipulated YouTube Search Results for Abortion, Maxine Waters, David Hogg
- Networks Trashed Trump With 90% Negative Spin in 2018, But Did It Matter?
- Judge Blocks Trump Admin from Adding Citizenship Question to 2020 Census
- Huckabee: FBI Agents Who Secretly Investigated Trump Should Be Prosecuted
- Exiled Trump-Hating Politicians Seek Refuge at Leftist Cable Networks – Big League Politics
- ABC/WaPo Poll: Support for Border Wall Soars Among Swing-Voters