SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Monday he’s withdrawing most of the state’s National Guard troops on the Mexico border because he won’t participate in the Trump administration’s “absurd theatrics” on border security.
Still, he acknowledged some troops were doing good work fighting drug crime and said he plans to allow 100 of the roughly 360 state troops now deployed to keep working with the federal government.
“I’m trying to acknowledge there are some legitimate concerns but I’m not going to play into the hype and the politics,” he told reporters before signing an executive order changing the troops’ mission.
Former Gov. Jerry Brown agreed in April to deploy up to 400 troops to the border in response to a request from the Trump administration made to four border states. Brown made it clear then that California troops couldn’t aid in immigration enforcement, but Newsom said there’s been a “gray area” in their duties.
Maj. Gen. David Baldwin of the California National Guard said the troops have not participated in immigration detention but some are conducting camera surveillance that could inadvertently aid in immigration enforcement.
Newsom’s rebuke of Republican President Donald Trump’s administration came on the eve of Newsom’s first state of the state address as governor of the nation’s most populous state and frequent foil to Washington. In announcing his decision to withdraw troops, the governor ratcheted up his rhetoric against the president.
“This whole thing is the theater of the absurd and California has had enough,” he said.
[Read More…] 209 views
- The Budget Deal!
- President Trump’s Approval Soars!
- Democrat Tax Plans Are Crazy!
- BOMBSHELL – Former Trump lawyer slams Mueller probe, maintains president will be cleared: ‘Knock it off and get it done’
- California governor rebukes Trump in border troop withdrawal
- FBI scrambled to respond to Hillary Clinton lawyer amid Weiner laptop review, newly released emails show
- Never Trumper Erick Erickson Announces He Will Support Trump in 2020
- Saving Babies and DIA Psyops!
- TURNCOAT: Schiff Attacks Mueller for Not Investigating Trump Enough
- Texas Lawmakers Propose State Funding for Wall on Border